The American Institute of Architects strives to provide valuable educational opportunities for designers, architects and building industry professionals. The DC Chapter offers a number of continuing education lectures, seminars and classes throughout the year. Please consult the choices to the left and the calendar for more information.
AIA members must complete 18.0 learning units per calendar year. 12.0 of the total 18.0 LUs must be earned by attending Health, Safety and Welfare (HSW) seminars. This is an increase from the previous requirement of 8.0 HSW LUs per calendar year.
IMPORTANT UPDATE! At December’s Annual Meeting of the AIA Board of Directors, the Sustainable Design (SD) Continuing Education Credit Requirement was terminated. Recognizing that sustainable design practices have become a mainstream design intention in the architectural community, the Board of Directors voted to allow the sustainable design education requirement to sunset at the end of calendar year 2012. As such, AIA members will no longer need to complete the sustainable design (SD) requirement to fulfill their AIA continuing education requirement.
The Autodesk Assistance Program helps displaced AIA members gain a competitive advantage in their field by offering free software, free online training, reduced classroom training, and certification in products such as Revit Architecture. This program is free to download to qualified registrants. To learn more or see if you qualify, visit www.autodesk.com/assistance.
Our DesignDC 2013 Call for Presentations is now open! Click here to begin. All proposals are due by Friday, March 1, at 11:59pm.
Important info for DesignDC Speakers:
• DesignDC 2013 will take place September 25 – 27, 2013 at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center (Sept. 25 & 26), and at the District Architecture Center (Sept. 27).
• Education sessions are one hour or one-and-a-half hours in length.
• Education sessions are worth LUs, HSW LUs, and/or GBCI CE Hours.
• What about tours? If you would like to lead a tour during DesignDC, please complete the presentation proposal form with information about your tour. Tours are one hour, one-and-a-half hours, or two hours in length (not including travel time). Tours are worth LUs, HSW LUs, and/or GBCI CE Hours.
• All presenters and tour leaders will receive complimentary conference registration.
• Each presentation room will be equipped with a podium, laptop, projector, screen, one wireless lavaliere microphone, one podium microphone, one long table, two chairs (more available upon request), and two tabletop microphones. Tour leaders will have the option of using a headset to give their tour.
• Presenters/tour leaders are not required to be AIA Members.
• Preference will be given to those who attend Three Magic Keys to Your Next Great Presentation on Thursday, January 24, 6:30 - 8:00 p.m. at the District Architecture Center. Registration available here.